It is currently Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Best non-BNL gig you have been to?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:49 am 
Yo

What is the best gig you have been to, not including Barenaked Ladies?

All of the side projects shows that I have seen so far have blown me away - I love Brothers Creeggan and Thin Buckle, and they were both really, really good live.

Completely away from BNL... I loved Guster live, I think they were probably the 2nd best band I have seen live.

Jason Mraz at the Royal Albert Hall was pretty special too. He's always fantastic live.

It's probably a toss-up between them for me. :)

Post subject: Re: Best non-BNL gig you have been to?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:10 am 
Ed calls me Adam

Hmm non-BNL let me think.

Taylor Swift was pretty good, even though I like her I was surprised at how good she was, no big razzle dazzle show, more concentrated on her singing.

However the one that sprang straight to mind, was when I went to see Norah Jones in Glasgow Auditorium, one she was fantastic but it was also the way she captivated the audience, during her songs there was not a sound to be heard by anyone in the crowd, complete silence and appreciation, that was pretty awesome.

Oh oh and Gavin Degraw in Manchester was pretty fantastc, front row great singer and bit of awesome piano playing.

Ed Robertson - For You - E2E

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:14 am 
Yo

gib wrote:
Oh oh and Gavin Degraw in Manchester was pretty fantastc, front row great singer and bit of awesome piano playing.

Ooh good shout - saw him at SBE and he was awesome too, probably the loudest gig I've ever been to as well, weird.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:10 pm 
The Imposter

Maximo Park. The energy from Paul Smith is amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:45 am 

Quote:
Taylor Swift was pretty good, even though I like her I was surprised at how good she was, no big razzle dazzle show, more concentrated on her singing.

Did you see to Taylor Swift in Manchester or London, gib?
I saw her at Wembley, & although I thought her vocals were impressive live, I felt the overall 'show' could have been a lot better. Far too many outfit/set changes for my liking, just a general lack of continuity. She must have made a mint given the ticket prices aswell!

Best non-BNL show I've been to would nearly be Bruce Cockburn in London, simply for the incredible guitar work & intimacy of the venue, but Counting Crows the first time I saw them in Dublin wins it for me. Absolutely breathtaking performance, & I was also given the oppertunity to go backstage to the after-party & have drinks with the band! A memorable first visit to Ireland indeed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:16 am 
Ed calls me Adam

henrywillard wrote:
Quote:

Did you see to Taylor Swift in Manchester or London, gib?
I saw her at Wembley, & although I thought her vocals were impressive live, I felt the overall 'show' could have been a lot better. Far too many outfit/set changes for my liking, just a general lack of continuity. She must have made a mint given the ticket prices aswell!

It was in Manchester mate, I won the tickets through work, get the V.I.P treatment, free food and drink in the company box lol.
Hmm I didn't think there's was that many compared to other big arena shows i've seen, I only remember like 5 outfits, some people complained about the videos sequences being too long, but I quite enjoyed them, and when she turns up at the back of the arena was a nice touch.

Ed Robertson - For You - E2E

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:42 pm 
Bungee girl

Green Day at Birmingham LG. I'd been waiting years to see them live and I was not dissapointed!

On a much smaller scale, I saw a guy named Will Francis play a solo accoustic show in September (he usually fronts a loud sort of alternative rock band) and the atmosphere was just phenomenal. It was unlike any other gig I had ever been to, before or since. Magic.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:51 pm 
Uber cool member

Last year the gig that impressed me the most was Dave Matthews Band at Wolverhampton Civic hall. Best live musicians i have seen - the gig was almost too long!!!

Take that put on an amazing show aswell. But Muse at V fest a couple of years ago was something else!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:52 pm 
Stovies

This is a real tough one,

Green Day at the O2 was amazin in October of last year... maybe the best ive ever seen them, or slipknot in Glasgow.... seeing Joey play Sic on his drums while they sat on it's axsis while keeping the beat on his double kicks was a sight to see! :!:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:47 pm 
Keen member

Sound 25 wrote:
Maximo Park. The energy from Paul Smith is amazing.

I'd have to agree with you there. Seen them live 3 times now in Glasgow, and they have never dissapointed.

Though Paul Smith needs to lay off the tight trousers, he may have someone's eye out one ay. And can I just say, I didn't notice til a friend of mine pointed it out. At the first gig. Eek. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:22 pm 
Ed's Bristol Stalker

Hate to say it as it'll probably get me flamed here but it was Keane at V in Stafford, they completely blew me away, so energetic and completely wasn't what I expected.. Found myself in second row which probably played a part ;)

A close second was Elbow also as V, was about 5th row, and the complete LOVE of what they were doing and the fantastic weather just made for magic..

Next best, Paul Weller at the Hop Farm Festival down here in Kent, lets just say he brought out Roger Daltrey for his encore..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:34 pm 
Ed's lovely old tranny

I have seen lots of great gigs over the years but I gues the best non BNL one was when i saw Arthur Lee and Love in manchester in 2004(that wa sa good year for gigs) after being a fan for years and never expecting to see Arthur live it was momumental.

For you youngsters who have never heard of them, Love, led by Arthur Lee, were an amazing californian band from the 60s, never massively popular in their day but lots of Indie bands now have them down as big influences.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:23 pm 
Keen member

Lou wrote:
Hate to say it as it'll probably get me flamed here but it was Keane at V in Stafford, they completely blew me away, so energetic and completely wasn't what I expected.. Found myself in second row which probably played a part ;)

Keane are SOOOO much better live. I saw them for the first time at Edgefest in Toronto (a friend scored free tix from her work and couldn't go), right before he went into rehab and they were very good.

This did not prepare me for how amazing they would be last year in Glasgow. Amazing! Their albums don't really do them justice to be fair.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:50 pm 
The Imposter

Bryoney wrote:
Lou wrote:

Keane are SOOOO much better live. I saw them for the first time at Edgefest in Toronto (a friend scored free tix from her work and couldn't go), right before he went into rehab and they were very good.

This did not prepare me for how amazing they would be last year in Glasgow. Amazing! Their albums don't really do them justice to be fair.

Keane just keep getting better. I hated their first album but Spiralling is one of my fav tracks ever.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:18 pm 
coming to you live

I am probably gonna get such abuse for this, but the two best non-BNL concerts I have been to are...

Extreme at the Academy in Glasgow - reformed and promoting their latest album "Saudade Du Rock" they were f***ing awesome, and they appreciated the crowd (Nuno and Gary both had a conversation about how they insisted Glasgow be on the tour as they remembered vividly the last time they played there). Played old tracks and new and were supported by "Hot Leg" (Justin Hawkin's new band who were hilarious).

The other, and this is a big stretch for some of you to believe, was Meat Loaf at the SECC on his "Couldn't Have Said It Better" tour. He had to postpone the show due to ill health and a heart scare, but came back and more than made up for it. As a spectacle it was incredible.

Trust me, ignore Meat's recent form he was awesome.

So that's my particular fetish then... old rockers.

(A couple of close contenders are Bryan Adams at the Caird Hall in Dundee, when he did an intimate little acoustic gig between his two stadium shows - it was wonderful to hear his songs performed that way - and Codeine Velvet Club at the Doghouse in Dundee - less than 100 people in the crowd and some annoying b*****ds at that, but the show was brilliant).