It is currently Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Steven Page or no Steven Page that is the question
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:41 pm 
lost in translation

this question as been burning me since i heard the live show with the band as a 4 at Universal Studios and now that AIGT as been released. i am even more confused, i love Steve's voice but i respect his reason to leave BNL. with him gone Tyler, Kev and Jim have done well to fill his boots but.... its just not the same.

don't get me wrong i still love the band!!

what does everyone else think? is new BNL as good as old BNL?

I did my best but it wasn’t enough

Post subject: Re: Steven Page or no Steven Page that is the question
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:31 pm 
Uber cool member

Im not even comparing them, they arent as good. But i am impressed on how they have come back and the album they have managed to produce.

However i do think this album is far better than Are Me & Are Men.... so maybe their songs are better than latter day bnl? Even if they lack steves voice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:56 pm 
Ed calls me Adam

I think that's what is missing is just Steve's voice and that will never be replaced, so your never gonna have those epic songs, but the new album is growing on me more and more each time I listen.

I'm the same I don't want to compare them, just gonna enjoy that they are still going, personality wise I never liked Steve, just his voice was amazing

Ed Robertson - For You - E2E

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:01 pm 
lost in translation

gib wrote:
I think that's what is missing is just Steve's voice and that will never be replaced, so your never gonna have those epic songs, but the new album is growing on me more and more each time I listen.

I'm the same I don't want to compare them, just gonna enjoy that they are still going, personality wise I never liked Steve, just his voice was amazing

ditto on the was unsure when i first listen to you run away but its a good album like fisher said far better than are me and are men!. i just hope after he finished with his solo work he comes back and go back to the 5!

we will just have to wait and see!

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:05 am 
drunken puppeteer

I agree. I miss the fullness of Steve's voice - there's a line in I Have Learned that even eludes to that (for me!) but I have to say after the first few listenings I am enjoying this album as a whole much more than I enjoyed BLAM(+BLAMen) and even E2E on their first few listenings. I think this album is more consistent, with the exception of Jerome which I'm not loving. What I am really loving is Jim! His singing has grown spectacularly for me and I like what I hear.

It will be interesting to see what Steven's album is like in comparison but I do think this version of BNL is perhaps better than that of recent years even without the timbre of Steve's voice.

Don't miss this
We've only got one shot

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:02 pm 
Keen member

You can't compare them. But I think it speaks volumes that on All In Good Time it doesn't sound like there's anything missing.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:36 pm 
lost in translation

allmyfriends wrote:
You can't compare them. But I think it speaks volumes that on All In Good Time it doesn't sound like there's anything missing.

true they may not be anything missing but.... on certain song you can see where Ed as kinda though hummm Steve could come in here and nail this section. luckily Tyler as a very similar voice sound and style to Steves and he picks up the slack that Steves voice normally would bring to BNL.

cant wait though to here Steven's new solo album the stuff on the singer must die is good and the same with what he did with The Vanity Project.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:18 pm 
Keen member

I'm surprised at the amount of people who haven't rated Jim before as a singer, I think it was hearing his part on Call and Answer on one of the live DVDs that made me loooooove the versatility of his voice

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 6:08 pm 
Keen member

I've always liked Jim's voice myself. Peterborough & The Kawartha's is one of my favourite tracks from BLAM and Spider In My Room is awesome.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 11:08 pm 
Keen member

I personally don't think anything's missing. Don't get me wrong, I loved Steve and without him there would have never been a Barenaked Ladies to begin with I don't think. But, without him there, its like it's not even the same band, which I think is a good thing. I love how they've changed up songs, and how well they've handled themselves, and how they've taken on everything. The new album, and tour, most certainly proves that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:00 am 
Yo

I'm surprised that people on the official board seem to already prefer Ed doing WAGB and TITNIFAATW over Steve.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Ed can do a great job - but really, making a decision based on Youtube recordings of shows? Those 2 songs in particular are signature Steve songs, and I am certainly prepared to give them a chance, I'm even excited about it - but I'm not prepared to be all like "they're so much better with Ed!" after just watching a live clip. Steve sang those songs for 21 years, Ed has just started singing them - I'm sure they are, and will be, great, but it seems like a very hasty turnover!

Having said that, I can't wait to see them done live. I think then a real judgement can be made! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:40 am 
the token American

Steve was never my favourite. I've always favoured Kevin, Jim, and Ed. So Steve missing really means nothing to me. Plus, I never felt he was as friendly as the other four are!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:48 am 
Misplaced Kiwi

Steve was always one of my favourite parts about BNL - the goofiness of the band in general is great, but Steve was always hilarious to me, was great on stage when I saw them, was pretty neat to me in person and I love love love his voice.

I still want to support him, but I'm not sure about him personally these days. He seems a bit bitter and twisty on Twitter and if the band and him aren't really talking (as it appears so), it makes me unsure about what really went on. They talk a lot about there being 'more space' in the band for everyone else, so it gives me the impression that he was a bit domineering over everyone.

I'll always be sad that I won't hear him sing BYH live, too.

"If I hide myself wherever I go, am I ever really there?"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:26 pm 
Keen member

I think Liam, a lot of us on the official board have seen him do those songs live, or some of those songs live and that's why we have the opinions we do about them. I mean, I don't think we all just randomly jumped ship, its just most of us have been to one or more show since the change... so we have a good feel for it already.

Me personally, I got reduced to a mess of tears when they did WAGB. I was sobbing for a good 15 minutes. That's how I know how much that song meant to me. I love that song as Steve sings it, it's wonderful, but I love it how Ed sings it too, and by the tears, just a little bit more, emotionally at least.

Of course say that, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. So it works out well no matter what!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:28 pm 
Stovies

BeccaJaneStClair wrote:
Steve was never my favourite. I've always favoured Kevin, Jim, and Ed. So Steve missing really means nothing to me. Plus, I never felt he was as friendly as the other four are!

I hear this getting said quite alot and in all fairness I can absoloutely understand why people would say that, in my experience however he has always been lovely, maybe not as forward as he is on stage or as loud if ye like, but I have never found him rude or lacking in personality, I stand by the thought that he is just shy in real life. He's always been friendly to me :mrgreen: