It is currently Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:08 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Steven Page or no Steven Page that is the question
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:18 am 
Bungee girl

I apologize for dragging this thread back up again, but I've been thinking this subject over since I saw the guys last week at Southampton.
Pre-show I thought that I would really miss Steve's presence onstage but personally, once the show began, it was like nothing was missing. Obviously some songs sounded a lot different with the rearranged vocals, but to me, I was more excited about hearing the more obscure songs in general, not fretting about who was singing them. Infact, Kevin's 'Sound of Your Voice' was one of my personal highlights of the show. Also I think in a round about way, Steve's departure has brought the plus of giving Kevin and Jim more solo vocals, which I loved at the Southampton show, because ever since AIGT came out, I have been blown away by the improvement in Jim's singing.
Basically the gist of this rather rambly message is that in a live environment, I do not miss Steve's contribution to the music. I still appreciate his skill as a vocalist, especially on the albums, but I don't spend much of my time wishing he'd rejoin the band.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:25 pm 

You know I am at the point where Steve's presents is like a memory, but to his credit he is a great songwritter and a great voicalist. But I have to side with Ed that I don't miss him being a part of the band anymore. I won't comment on anything personal, but I still enjoy the four peice.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:32 pm 

I also saw the southampton gig Ive seen with steve and without now. As a live act it was more fun without i think the others came to the for and seemed to enjoy it much more jim was all over the stage in the past he tended to stayon his side. The funny thing is the songs steve used to take lead on i didnt notice it was him not singing on them. I hope at some time in the future any differences can be put to one side and we can see a 5 pice tour. I just hope its not 3 years till they come back over again :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:30 am 
Keen member

I spoke to Jim last night who said it would be "a few years" til they are back :( But who knows they might pop over and do some festivals like they used to do :P

Again i am loving them as they are and as they were.. i think as it stands now, they are freer to be who they are if you get me...

Lovd Cambridge last night - great show!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:07 pm 
Ed calls me Adam

That's a shame if it is a few years but I suppose when venues aren't selling out then why would you rush back to not make any money.

Ed Robertson - For You - E2E

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:19 pm 

I can only talk about the ones i've been to but London was a big show and was absolutely rammed and so was Cambridge - Brighton on the other hand wasnt...how has the turnout been at the other shows??

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:24 pm 
Uber cool member

Regardless of what anyone says or thinks, Steve provided something that could never be matched or replaced. So did Andy. The ways they could sing/harmonize/play couldn't be topped by most any other artist. However, if you listen to Crazy ABC's there's a line Steve says near the end .. "my guitar player, some hotshot..". Ed has not and never will be Steve's guitar player. Tyler is not/never was his drummer etc. The band wasn't Steve's. EVER. It would have never started if it weren't for Ed's gig that he asked Steve to join him for. Steve apparently never appreciated that or the fact that the others were as talented as he is and probably more talented. Yes, he has a phenominal presence and voice ( I for one, have never heard another man hit an e-flat a tenth above middle c without going into falsetto before, or since ) but he wasn't giving the others much room to breathe. Now they have it and it seems they are enjoying it. Let Them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:33 pm 
Keen member

Agreed....end :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:17 pm 

barenakedmarky wrote:
I can only talk about the ones i've been to but London was a big show and was absolutely rammed and so was Cambridge - Brighton on the other hand wasnt...how has the turnout been at the other shows??

Southampton wasn't packed, but then the Guildhall is quite big and also rectangular, so if you're at the back.. then you're very far back.

I miss the harmonies but I don't think I miss the person who Steve is. Having been following him on Twitter, he just seems a bit down and bitter about things now.

See this:

Quote:
stevenpage

All you Brits who keep tweeting at me: stop bugging me. You got the other guys. I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY. Kidding. UK next year. I promise. 26 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone

It may be jesting but as they say, there's no smoke...

I've been thinking about the band as they are now, and i'm glad to say I still love them so much. Had it been Ed who left the band, they would be totally different. I doubt they would have carried on playing.

Gotta love Ed ;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:45 pm 
Uber cool member

heron wrote:

Gotta love Ed ;)

Darn right. Have you got a copy of the "Ladies Room Vol.4" availble on their website? You want to know just how good Ed is.. it's from 2000, but includes a demo ( I'll be darned if the song is escaping me right now... from Maroon... I'll look it up. ) and the drums/bass/guitar/keyboards are played entirely by... you guessed it... ED! AAAAGGHH!! I hate forgetting things. AHAH! - Off the Hook!!! ( Steve and Ed sing, but only Ed is playing.)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:20 pm 
Keen member

*trots of to get ladies room*

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:42 pm 

kgraves6 wrote:
heron wrote:

Gotta love Ed ;)

Darn right. Have you got a copy of the "Ladies Room Vol.4" availble on their website? You want to know just how good Ed is.. it's from 2000, but includes a demo ( I'll be darned if the song is escaping me right now... from Maroon... I'll look it up. ) and the drums/bass/guitar/keyboards are played entirely by... you guessed it... ED! AAAAGGHH!! I hate forgetting things. AHAH! - Off the Hook!!! ( Steve and Ed sing, but only Ed is playing.)

I don't have it no, but from your description I think I NEED this in my life.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:23 pm 

I remember going to this benefit gig in 2003. At one point Ed got up and played drums and I swear I was dying I couldn't believe how good he was. So yeah Steve had an incredible voice but Ed can play anything he gets his hands on;) Oh and I love how he plays bass in "on the lookout" had to throw that in:)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:32 am 
Ed calls me Adam

Steve who???

Don't miss him at all really, the band works so well as a four in everyway!!!

Ed Robertson - For You - E2E

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:13 pm 

I agree with you totally but Steve was a big part of the band, I'll never forget that.