It is currently Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Steven Page or no Steven Page that is the question
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:27 pm 
Uber cool member

Edchick wrote:
I remember going to this benefit gig in 2003. At one point Ed got up and played drums and I swear I was dying I couldn't believe how good he was. So yeah Steve had an incredible voice but Ed can play anything he gets his hands on;) Oh and I love how he plays bass in "on the lookout" had to throw that in:)

On the Lookout isn't the only song he plays bass for ( see BOAPS - "Spider in My Room" ) and if someone who actually saw a show on the tour and heard "I Saw It" could they verify?because I believe Ed plays bass on that too.

Also, if you check credits he (and Steve) played the synthesizers for the intro to "Enid" on Gordon.

and, of course, live he now plays drums for Alcohol.

Also check out Yukon Cornelius (or do they spell it Kornelius?- I forget) on You Tube. ( "Careless Whisper" ) as well as Brothers Creeggan stuff from S&D ( including "I Love You" )if you want to see Ed play drums.

Last edited by kgraves6 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:02 pm 
Yo

Ahh - THE question...

I did miss Steve, but not as much as I thought I would. I'll try to be diplomatic when I explain this, because I am a big Steve fan, and I really loved what he brought to the band. However, I was delighted when the band continued as a 4 piece and I love what they are doing still. I'm so glad they continued on despite his departure.

Songs like The Old Apartment, It's All Been Done... etc etc... they sounded 'right' to me. It didn't seem like anything had changed. In songs like Tonight Is The Night, What A Good Boy etc, it was more obviously different - as they were more 'signature' Steve songs - BUT, different does not mean bad! I thought Ed did a fantastic job on those tunes. At no point did I feel uncomfortable or pine for Steve to be singing instead. What A Good Boy was very touching and I congratulate Ed for pulling it off so well.

I missed Steve's presence on-stage, and oddly enough, I missed him during little tiny details like the "yo, yo I exist" in Pinch Me (I know, a very obscure time to notice his absence). But, all in all, I thought BNL's shows this month were MORE energetic and fun than I have seen them in a long, long time. Whatever that is down to, I'm glad of it. I will still support Steve and cannot wait until he tours over here one day - but at the same time, I am very thankful and enthusiastic about what BNL are doing without him. The shows were absolutely amazing and it's down to their humour, musicianship and talent that makes the loss of a lead singer a small issue.

There, that was as fair as I could make it...! :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:55 pm 

I think the other four guys expanded to fill the Steve sized hole that was left and then some. You can't fail to miss a talent as large as that, but the new four piece BNL were just as good, if slightly different. And in many ways that's no bad thing.

I loved the last tour, but did think that in some ways Steve seemed to be going through the motions. Subdued perhaps. Well there were four bundles of joy on stage the other day, and I came out looking like someone had shoved a coathanger in my mouth!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:51 pm 

My own opinion having seen the guys at the Hammersmith Apollo, is that somehow the band gels better without Steve. Somehow the whole band chemistry was more together, more a band, certainly than it had been in the last couple of tours.

I think the Page era was great, but things have moved on. I thought it was great to see Kevin Hearn more of prominent role. Sure his voice doesn't have the strength of Page's but it has a great quality and a great sound.

What I do think is that the band were obviously having a bunch of fun on the stage, even at there best, there were times that Steve seemed a bit of a misfit. I think now he can get on and do great things as a solo artist, and really be himself, and the remaining 4 can get on with being what they have always been- great enthusiastic, talented, musicians having fun putting on a great show.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:28 pm 
Ed's Bristol Stalker

I have to agree with a number of others who have said that BNL v 2 is just as fantastic as BNL v1.. The guys are having SOOO much fun, they seem more cohesive, and a group.. Fundamentally Steve's absence has brought the others to the forefront, thats not a negative towards Steve.. He was just such a large personality..

I will continue to support Steve, i can't wait to hear the new album! But do I think the band has suffered from his absence? No not in the slightest.. They are still the musically talented, full of heart guys they always have been.. And I hope all five of them are happier now than they were. They certainly seem that way and to me that is the absolute most important thing of all..

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:09 pm 

kgraves6 wrote:
However, if you listen to Crazy ABC's there's a line Steve says near the end .. "my guitar player, some hotshot..". Ed has not and never will be Steve's guitar player. Tyler is not/never was his drummer etc. The band wasn't Steve's. EVER. I

Sorry to bring this back up, but this is probably not something that anyone living in the UK would know... that part of the song is a complete riff on a US TV commercial from the 1970's for Calgon laundry detergent. :D It's not Steve being a jerk, or calling Ed his guitar-playing minion. No worries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yW6vObBOVE

As for the original topic... the only time I REALLY REALLY missed Steve live was during songs where his dancing feets were part of the fun, notably "Too Little Too Late" and "Brian Wilson." Otherwise, I think the guys have done a FANTASTIC job adjusting the live show. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:39 pm 
Keen member

Ah thanks for that, I always wondered what Steve meant there. I knew he wasn't being a jerk, it was just some reference I didn't get, but it's great to know now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:44 pm 
Uber cool member

[quote="Suebee42"]

Sorry to bring this back up, but this is probably not something that anyone living in the UK would know... that part of the song is a complete riff on a US TV commercial from the 1970's for Calgon laundry detergent. :D It's not Steve being a jerk, or calling Ed his guitar-playing minion. No worries.

quote]

:oops: I actually remeber that commercial...

not to mention I forgot their love of obsure '70's references....obsure '80's references..... ah, you get the point.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:34 pm 

I don't think they tried to replace or fill in for Steven Page. And thats a good thing, they worked with what they have, and what do they have ? singers, song writers and musicians, what else did they need. The new LP is full of strong meaningful songs and the live show misses nothing. Seeing them at HardRock Calling I loved the songs new and old I loved the way the play and work together and I never once thought hang on whats missing? because nothing was....