All times are UTC

Post subject: Steven Page - "Page One"
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:57 am 
Yo

From Steven's website:

Quote:
Actual News About What's Going On With Me

Created on Sunday, 25 July 2010

Blog? Oh how I’ve neglected you. I’m sorry. I’ve missed you; a little, at least. But I haven’t been sitting around doing nothing, you know. I’ve been busy – making records, rehearsing with my new band, doing occasional solo gigs, renovating my house, and then re-renovating after it flooded. I’ll post descriptions of all of these things in the near future as I begin to gear up for the release of my new album. Yes, my new album – that’s what I’m here to tell you about today.

First things first, the first single is called “Indecision,” and it will be available for download from the iTunes Music Store THIS TUESDAY, the 27th of July, in the US and Canada. It will also be available for download from the store at stevenpage.com for everyone around the world. Well, everyone with an internet connection.

“Indecision” was written by me and Stephen Duffy, with whom I wrote most of 2005’s Vanity Project album, as well as BNL songs like “Jane,” “Call and Answer,” and “Powder Blue.” Most of the instruments are played by me and my co-producer John Fields, with drums by Elvis Costello’s long-time drummer Pete Thomas, and backup vocals by Esthero. The track is a melding of Jobim-style Brazilian pop and classic Steven Page power-pop. I’m excited about finally getting this music out to you, and I hope you like it.

The single has already been played by MIX 104.1 in Boston, for whom I’m playing a short solo set at their Mixfest 2010 on August 2nd, and if you like the song, it would help me a huge amount if you were to call, email or tweet at your favourite station and ask them to play it. The more they play it, the better chance I have of coming to your town and playing live. Speaking of playing live, my next blog post will be about the new band and our first show last week. I promise to post this soon, not months from now, as has been my habit of late.

But, perhaps more importantly, I can finally give you some album details. My first real solo album is being released in Canada by Anthem/Universal and in the US on Zoe/Rounder on September 28th and it’s called Page One. I produced it with John Fields, and it features guest appearances from the aforementioned folks as well as Glen Phillips of Toad the Wet Sprocket, The Hornheads (they were Prince’s NPG horn section), and the late Will Owsley, as well as members of my touring band.

Musically, the album is all over the map, as so many of my favourite records are – from the grand orchestration of “A New Shore,” to the folky “Clifton Springs,” to the big band jazz of “Leave Her Alone,” and the straight-up rock of “Marry Me” and the electronic pop of “Entourage” and “Queen of America,” Page One is a genre-hopping tribute to the music I love, and the music I grew up with. I wrote a couple of the songs with my pal Craig Northey (Odds), a bunch more with Stephen Duffy, and the rest I wrote on my own. The recording process was insanely fun, creative, and shockingly stress-free. I’m super-proud of this album, and I can’t wait for you to hear it all. Hope you enjoy it even half as much as I did making it.

Track Listing:
A New Shore
Indecision
Clifton Springs
Entourage
Marry Me
All The Young Monogamists
She’s Trying To Save Me
Over Joy
If You Love Me
Leave Her Alone
Queen Of America
The Chorus Girl

Favourite line:
Quote:
It will also be available for download from the store at stevenpage.com for everyone around the world.

I cannot wait! Very excited. :)

Post subject: Re: Steven Page - "Page One"
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:17 pm 
Keen member

Can't wait, the number of times I've listened to the horrible grainy recording of A New Shore I have is unbelievable. Was sort of hoping Linda Rondstadt in the Seventies would make it onto the album like, but i suppose i cant complain everything ive heard so far has just had me anticipating this so much :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:51 pm 
Uber cool member

I'm just pleased we finally have some news, and also that over joy is on there!! Can't wait, I'm sure it will be better than A singer must die!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:13 pm 
Keen member

I Wasn't too fond of A Singer Must Die either, but I enjoyed his "I Want You" cover (one of my favourite Elvis Costello songs) and to a lesser extent Paranoid Android (One of my favourite songs ever) but it just didn't stand alone as an album

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:30 am 
Uber cool member

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Page-One-Steven ... 721&sr=8-1

Yay!! Although with Amazon imports take ages to come probably best getting it another wya through new and used or something!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:46 pm 
Yo

This album is amazing.

I LOVE it!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:48 pm 

Agreed! First listen, I thought it was ehhh

...BUT it's only been 24 hours, and this album has totally already grown on me! A lot more poppy than I would have imagined, but not in a bad way. Among my favorite tracks are "Indecision", "Marry Me", "Over Joy", and "The Chorus Girl".

Some of you may be surprised when you hear this record. It may not be what you expected. I personally think its a different style for Steve. A new direction, just like BNL becoming more rock-ish.

Now, in comparison with All In Good Time and Page One, I would plump for AIGT. They are both awesome albums, but I'm just in love with BNL's new style. This album, however, is still kick ass, and gets a 5/5 rating from me!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:49 pm 

And for anyone else, preview it here! :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMuilHKHR3Q

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:09 pm 

The previews sound awesome.. Cant wait to hear the album in its entirety

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:03 pm 
Uber cool member

Entourage could quite easily be remixed into a clubbing song....make it happen!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:21 pm 
Uber cool member

How many of the songs on the album will we associate with the split then?

A new shore (Which I rather like as a song) - As captain of this band of merry sailors, I'm a black mark... hmmm wonder what thats about.

Indecision (only slightly I think) - ...make me disappear...keep me here... (Probably about deciding to leave)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:49 am 
Yo

"Page One" is out TODAY and available to buy from stevenpage.com, play.com, amazon.co.uk and UK iTunes!

Woohoo! :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:55 pm 

birdth1 wrote:
Indecision (only slightly I think) - ...make me disappear...keep me here... (Probably about deciding to leave)

He's been playing Indecision live since 1995-ish, so it's been around for quite some time, well before the split. I think it just takes on new meaning now.

Entourage, Chorus Girl and Queen of America have been floating around for a long time, too. :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:23 pm 
Yo

Suebee42 wrote:
birdth1 wrote:

He's been playing Indecision live since 1995-ish, so it's been around for quite some time, well before the split. I think it just takes on new meaning now.

Entourage, Chorus Girl and Queen of America have been floating around for a long time, too. :D

1995?!?!

I thought it was more like 2005/6... :?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:49 am 

Liam wrote:
Suebee42 wrote:
birdth1 wrote:

1995?!?!

I thought it was more like 2005/6... :?

1995????? Holy damn, older than I thought!